Thursday, May 7, 2009

-something's happening to me?

sometimes i need my spiritual booty kicked into gear.
i love my life in autopilot. be a good mom. make husband feel supported and appreciated. tell family you love them. make friends feel wonderful. be creative. strive for physical health.
but sometimes, at the end of the day, autopilot doesn't bring fulfillment.

last week at church a really amazing man spoke about spiritual motivation. i rarely pay attention. rarely. i'll blame it on the boys but to be completely honest, i'm never in the mood. to me, my spirituality is an extremely private thing which unfortunately has led to me shutting off when people start talking and look for more excitement in a ziploc full of honey nut cheerios.

last week was different. the amazing man asked point blank "what are the triggers you need that will get you motivated to make prayer, scripture study and righteous living a priority?"
i dunno.
but for the first time in my life i am interested in finding out. he concluded his words with a message about peace. an inner peace. one that motivates you to be a better person and feel completeness. something very different than autopilot.

so i'm accepting applications for triggers. things like this and this but probably not this. please send them this way. i can't wait.

3 comments:

DJCK incorporated said...

It's taken me fifty years to understand that a "broken heart and a contrite spirit" really are the essentials for happiness. Sorry it couldn't be more glamorous.

ArizonaLewis said...

thanks dad for the comment.
i guess this was the wrong kind of post for my viewership.
420 hits and the only comment from my papa.
back to crotch jokes and unflattering pictures of myself.
i guess.
:)

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Holding your grandma while she dies does it.